Pages

Monday, January 12, 2004

Ok, quick thought: So I was having trouble reconciling the position of my church as supporting the freedom of religion and also supporting legislation that bans gay marriages. But, with the help of my dad, I have been able to make this reconciliation. This legislation doesn't have to do with religion, it has to do with morality. By making laws protecting heterosexual marriages, we are preserving our way of life and our customs. Many argue that morality is relative. I agree with tha, to a point. Many people live higher laws than others, but I think there needs to be a bottom, a basic moral law that nees to be made. Just as murder, theft, slander, and other activities related to harming others, dishonesty, corruption, and many other moral issues are legislated, the matter of marriage should be included. If we are willing to make laws about telling lies, how come we are not willing to make laws about something which can have just as great, if not a bigger effect on people's lives? I believe, and always will believe, that marriage is reserved for a man and woman. I will never support any law which says otherwise.

No comments: