Pages

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

A Digression to Truth

     For a moment I will digress from politics and economics to a matter of truth, a matter important on this blog because it is the motivation for all I do. It is a thought extremely important to me and one I have been exploring for the last couple weeks.
     I do not believe in God because of reason nor out of any necessity. I do not believe in God because He has to exist, based on some logical proof. Those grounds are like the deck of a boat: swaying and rocking; at any time, some big wave could come and capsize me. No, the firm ground on which I stand is that of experience. I know God lives because I have experienced Him. The scriptures have been passed down through the generations, sharing the stories of those who have experienced God - heard His voice, seen Him, felt His guidance - in their own lives. My parents and many others, who have experienced God in their own lives, have shared their experiences with me. 
     And so, having grown up hearing these experiences, I followed the pattern presented to me: I studied these experiences; I thought about them, long and hard; and then I got down on my knees and prayed. My own experience followed. His love filled my heart. A peace entered in that I have only felt in prayer and in His holy temple. I have felt His presence and His love. I know He knows me. I know He loves me. I know He lives.
     Therefore, even should the scientists discover the source of the Big Bang, even should they explain the entire natural world without God, I know He lives, for this is not my foundation of truth. My foundation of truth is my experience, and I have experienced God. He lives! And for Him, I live.

No comments: