Pages

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Does a healthy democracy need religion?

I posted this as an answer to a Facebook Question:

The benefits of religion are demonstrated by a recent study released called "American Grace: How Religion Divides and Unites Us."

Here are several quotes from the study (obtained from http://beta-newsroom.lds.org/articl...):

"Any way you slice it, religious Americans are simply more generous." (454).

"Religion is the strongest predictor of altruism"; more than "education, age, income, gender, race, and so forth." (464).

"Religious people are both more trusting... and (in the eyes of others) more trustworthy themselves." (461).

"With the partial exception of socioeconomic status, religiosity is, by far, the strongest and most consistent predictor of... civic involvement." (454).
I argue that generosity, altruism, trust, and civic involvement are all vital to a healthy democracy. If this study is right and religion is a strong indicator that an individual will possess these attributes, than I believe it is vital.

To this I would add my personal experience. As a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormon), I have always been taught to be involved in my community, to vote, to obey the laws, and generally be a good neighbor and citizen. To a lesser extent I learned this at school, but I also heard and saw conflicting ideas from my teachers and peers. If it were not for my religion, I would not feel the duty I do now to participate in this democracy.

No comments: