Pages

Thursday, August 28, 2003

Ahhh, the school year. Take that as a scream of horror or a sigh of contemplation, however you view it. After 11 years of seeing this school system make a mockery of education, I have finally reached the level in which they consider me worthy of true teachers who can teach. For almost the first time in all the years I've been going to school, I am looking forward to a year with these teachers and coming out of my classes with an increased awareness of my capabilities and increased understanding of the world around me. It's funny that they don't think we should recieve this at the first levels of public education. Instead, the only time you deserve to learn is after you have reached the highest level.

Alright, I'm being a little unfair. I had a few excellent teachers before I reached the A.P. level, but I still think the government, federal, state, and local, could do much better. Two years ago, I entered high school life. As I came to fully realize the workings of the schools and school systems, I finally understood just how bad of shape California and the nation's educational system is in. And now, as the state hits a financial crises, what do they cut first? Education. Probably the most vital thing to saving this state is its future politicians, scientists, and everyday laborers, and what does the government do to this vital tool for ending power crisis like this? They cut funding. How can they do that? Why not use all the money from the lottery like they are supposed to? Oh wait, they took that away and put it into other things. How about cutting the salaries of state workers? Just take away a few cents or dollars and millions could be saved. Or stop wasting money on dumb research projects and tests telling us what we already know: our school systems need help! or we are getting fat, or the nuclear family is falling apart. Why not stop wasting money to officially find this out and use that money for solving the problem. Anyway, by being a little frugal, the legislature and Davis would be able to save education and still ride out the crises without going bankrupt. Please, if you have views on this, e-mail me at ldskidsix@hotmail.com.

No comments: