Pages

Thursday, August 21, 2003

Painting...So, we finished the mural today. It looks pretty good. There are a few spots where it's a little messed up, but what do you expect of choir students? We may have talent musically, but as far as using our hands...only a few of us have any talent there. The important thing, though, is that we are done. We don't have to go back and paint any more. It was fun, but it was taking away from time which I need to be spending on AP summer assignments.

Socializing...Today was a good test of how my social skills have improved. I had a chance, after we finished painting, to meet two girls named Ashley and Marie. They helped me remember how easy it is to talk to new people, even at school where I'm not surrounded by other Mormons. There is often this fear high school kids have of talking to new people. I think it's either a fear of being rejected or a pride they have. Many think, "Oh, I don't need to talk to these people. I'm better than them. The only people worthy of my conversation are the 'popular' friends I already have." But it's suprising how easy it is to meet and talk to new people. And how rewarding. Once, back in junior high and the beginning of high school, I had a difficult time with friends. I didn't have any one to really hang out with, no group which I could call my own. Many of the friends I hung out with at school would plan tons of stuff during the weekends and on holidays and I was often left out. Now things have changed, though. I have a circle of friends, many of them I consider close friends. We get together a lot of times and I've found a way around not being invited. It's very simple- plan everything yourself. By doing this and my being more outgoing and as good a guy as I can be, my social life has made a complete reversal. Now I'm never lonely and I'm invited every where with my friends. Patience and a perseverence and just being who you are pays off, though the rewards may not be immediate.

No comments: